Treatment and Management
Treatment of this bursitis like most causes of bursitis needs to be focused on reducing pain by eliminating for a short time the sports or activities that created compression on the area.
Common treatments for this bursitis include:
- Special pillow to reduce pressure
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID’s) to relieve pain
- Fascial treatment to reduce stiffness in hamstring, piriformis, and hip muscles
- Strengthening of hip and core muscles
- Gait analysis- to address running mechanics responsible for pain during sports
Injections of cortical steroids are the most common treatment in standardized medicine. Manual pumping of bursitis in combination with a core, hip, and gluteal exercise program can be significantly more effective, provide long-term sustainable results, and prevent the soft tissue degeneration associated with multiple corticoid steroid injections.