Carpal Tunnel Treatment
Treating Carpal Tunnel Syndome in West LA & Santa Monica
CARPAL TUNNEL TREATMENT IN SANTA MONICA, CA
Chiropractic treatment can help eliminate the pain and discomfort caused by carpal tunnel syndrome.
Do you ever find that your fingers are numb after typing all day? Or, does your wrist ache after scrolling through social media sites on your phone? The overuse of technology can put a strain on your wrists. This can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome — a painful condition that is the result of the overuse of one specific area of the body, the wrist. Carpal tunnel is very common. It affects up to ten million people a year in the U.S., which is not surprising given that we are constantly on our phones, tablets, and laptops.1
What is Carpal Tunnel?
Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve, which runs from your forearm through your hand, is injured. The nerve runs through a very narrow area of the wrist called the carpal tunnel. Because the area is so narrow, it is very easy for the nerve to become compressed and damaged. This leads to the symptoms of carpal tunnel.
The median nerve provides sensation to the index and middle finger, as well as the thumb. This is why symptoms of carpal tunnel include pain and numbness in these areas.
Who Gets Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Women are three times more likely than men to get this disorder.2 That is probably because the carpal tunnel may be smaller in women, which makes it even easier for the nerve to become trapped.
People who work in assembly are more likely to get the syndrome. That is because this type of work involves repetitive wrist movements.
If you have carpal tunnel, you might notice the following signs:
- Numbness or tingling. With carpal tunnel, it is common to experience numbness and tingling in the thumb or the first three fingers of the hand. You might notice these symptoms when you first wake up in the morning. You may have a pins-and-needles feeling, almost like your hand has “fallen asleep.” The numbness may eventually be present all the time.
- A burning sensation. You might notice a burning sensation that travels up your arm.
- Muscle weakness. Carpal tunnel can cause muscle weakness. You might have a hard time grasping objects like a steering wheel. Writing in a book or using a computer keyboard may be very difficult.
Without treatment, the symptoms of carpal tunnel tend to become worse with time. The pain and tingling may initially occur only intermittently. Eventually, these symptoms will become constant.
Dr. Dean healed my fibromyalgia!
Carpal Tunnel Treatment
If you are looking for a natural, drug-free carpal tunnel treatment, you have come to the right place. The first step of treatment is a thorough assessment. Wrist pain and hand numbness are not always due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Cubital tunnel syndrome can also cause numbness and pain in the hand and wrist. Dr. Dean will perform a thorough assessment and diagnose the problem.
After diagnosis, a personalized treatment plan will be developed to relieve your symptoms.
Santa Monica, CA chiropractor Dr. Dean uses a variety of chiropractic treatments to address carpal tunnel, including:
- Active release techniques (ART) – A common problem that occurs with carpal tunnel is the formation of excessive scar tissue. This tissue can cause pain and discomfort. With ART, manual pressure is used to break up scar tissue. This innovative myofascial treatment helps alter tissue composition and relieve pain.
- Chiropractic adjustments – Malalignment of the spine could contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome. Chiropractic adjustments realign your spine, which can help release pinched nerves in your wrist.
- Exercise therapy – Exercise therapy is a very effective natural treatment for carpal tunnel.
- Wrist supports or braces – These can help with proper alignment. They are especially useful after a chiropractic adjustment and can prevent further injury to the nerves within the wrist.
Get Help For Wrist Pain
If you have symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, make an appointment as soon as possible. Let Santa Monica, CA chiropractor Dr. Dean help restore normal functioning to your wrist.